Monday, January 21, 2008

Oh What a Day

Let me first start off by saying, this is a historical day that has changed the lives of so many Americans and has shone a light on the potential of this great country. In celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., "I have a Dream" and I am living it right now!

A few things struck me today. I am watching Oprah and the entire show is devoted to the history of segregation and Martin Luther King. As I listen to the many stories of hardship and struggle, my mind began turning and thinking about how lucky I truly am. Not only was I born into a country with endless opportunities, but I am a white woman, with an education and promise. As I watch Oprah and try to grasp the stories of the days when it was blacks vs. whites, I cannot understand how people could once be so divided.

Now why I am so lucky... I was born to two teenage parents, with no college education and one a high school drop-out, who both came from very broken homes. It was written in the sand that I would become a teenage mother myself, a high school drop-out and another victim of circumstance. I wasn't. Actually, the opposite happened. I never had a child, I didn't drop out of school and I graduated from college. Then it dawned on me... that is exactly how it should have ended up! Because even though I was born into a situation that I could not change or did not ask for- there was nothing that was standing in my way, other than circumstance. There was no reason that I should have become a victim to what I could not change. I remember sometimes feeling so terrible because I didn't have nice clothes, my mom didn't drive a nice car, or whatever- the truth is, who cares.

I was never not allowed to use a bathroom because of my skin color. I was never denied riding a bus, going to school, drinking from a water fountain, that was never an issue! So now looking back- I am thankful for everything that I didn't have and all the things I did. Because I was born free and that is pretty lucky. Finally, to all the African-Americans, not just Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks, but all who marched, fought, lost their lives, and were left filled with hatred, thank you. For you have taught this country more than you will ever know. You have taught me personally to fight for what you believe in and with that you can accomplish mountains. You have taught me to never let circumstance stand in your way!

No comments: