Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Irony

I was talking to a friend yesterday, about the entitlement recent grads and college students have. She told me that my generation has a sort of entitlement to them unlike any generations before- they expect things, believe they deserve and are owed things, referring to the students entering the business world. At first I really didn't agree, but after she finished stating her point- she was right! I noticed I did this very same thing. I expected to find a job right out of college. I was going to send my tape out after I graduated and land the perfect job, making lots of money, being the town superstar reporter... then I realized real quick, that is so far from the truth.

I have busted my butt, sent out hundreds of tapes, made a thousand calls, and have had two job offers. One that I turned down, because it just wasn't what I wanted! Wow... what was I thinking? I have a bit of advice to all you recent grads or college seniors. Nobody in this business is going to give you a break, because you're cute, smart or a good writer. It doesn't matter (sure it all helps in the long run), you have got to work hard and start now. Determination comes with success, hard work gets you noticed, and not giving up will get you the job. Take it from me.

The irony of it all... I have finally followed my own advice and now I am going to have to choose a job! What a great feeling!

A few places to get you started...
http://journalismjobs.com
http://entertainmentcareers.net/id/?id=70571

No comments: